Wednesday 11 September 2013

39 - AL 11 - The Fear Of Frightening

You’d like to hear a story that made me nervous huh?

Well, it was a dark and stormy night… Come to think of it, why put dark in that sentence? I mean it’s night, isn’t the fact that it’s dark inherent to the situation?

Anyway, it was a cloudy and stormy night… That doesn’t work either. You can’t really have a storm unless there are clouds.

Ummm… It was a stormy, stormy night… That’s more like it. But come to think of it, it wasn’t actually storming. It was just kinda windy and thunder occasionally rolled through.

It was a windy, thunderous night… Leaves blew along the roads, and long shadows crept behind people, cast from the streetlights. People milled about, on their way to nightclubs to drink their bitter drinks, and dance to their deafening music. The cars were slow, coping with the lack of signs present in the city, and being sure not hit the partiers who spilled out of their clubs early.

I was sitting in my mixing studio, utterly bereft of patience or attention after a long days work. I leaned back in my chair and listened for signs of life in the studio. There were none. Not a word of speech, or the tap of a step, just silence, heavy in the air.

I checked my watch, the house was in the nine o’clock range, so I decided my work for that day was done. And all I was doing was some mix refining anyway. So I shut off the equipment, gathered my possessions, and locked the door, as headed to my home.

But then I did hear a noise. A noise most familiar, the noise of noise that occurs when speakers are up, but no music comes out. I turned and looked back, but all the studios were locked. It was a Friday, and everyone was already out. I walked back to the studio I had recently left, and looked through the glass door, unsure of what to expect. Perhaps a person sitting, that somehow I had missed, or some kind of specter, determined to give me the chills.

But look in I did, and here’s what I saw. Inside there was nothing. Nothing at all.

But I did see, at the end of the panel, a dial had been turned up, and a light at the end was glowing red. It was at this point that I became unsure. Unsure of what I was seeing, or what I had missed.

So I swiped my ID card, and the scanner beeped true, and in I went, back into that room. I kept my eyes peeled, for sight or sound, of anything at all, that may posit a scrumb (something that will endanger me.)

The truth, as it happens, was far less dramatic. In my haste to leave, and my unaware state, I had knocked a piece of gear from its place. It had fallen and landed at the top of the slider that controlled the speaker output volume. And so as I left, the weight built up, and pushed the slider down to its edge. And then the gear had fallen from the console, and now lay on the ground. The dial was up, the noise came free, and the piece of gear was no where to be seen.

So I turned off the dial, and looked around, sure that I would be attacked and downed.

But quickly I calmed myself, and was back on my way. Away from the control panel that haunts me still to this day.

Tada, my experience last Monday night that I found a little unnerving.

I’ll read from you next week.


Andrew Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment