Tuesday 8 October 2013

45 - AL 13 - Through The Concussion Glass

I actually did have an odd experience a few weeks ago.

I thought about writing into a blog, but I thought that neither of you would believe me that it had actually happened. But so many little things about the event were just so unexpected, and so odd, and so strange that I wrote a kind of pre-emptive blog so that at some point I would send it in.

Well here’s the story.

So I’ve been quite unspecific about exactly what the studios that I work for do, and what my job actually is. My official job and my actual job are two different things, that are only about 50% overlapping. Rest assured that the job I prefer is my unofficial job, which luckily is the one I actually do. But we’ll start with my official job.

Officially, I’m a sound engineer.

I work for a studio that has lots of very nice equipment and great studio spaces, and a lot of very talented people that work here and with a number of very talented contacts. Clients come in from ad agencies and corporations, every now and then some animation houses and sometimes film and tv studios. They come in with footage that just has sound they recorded on location. It is usually quiet and distant, and with annoying background sounds, and no foley (as in sound effects created by people.) We then dissect the sounds, recording the foley, pumping up the dialogue and making sure it is clean and legible (not always easy) and then mixing it all into whatever format they want. Stereo is easiest, and everything starts that way, but 5.1 is the main request we get.

This is a great job, and you get to meet lots of nice people (and lots of controlling tyrants who know nothing about sound,) and I really enjoy it.

Unofficially, I’m half of a sound design team.

I do love mixing sound, and I think it’s just as important to the impact of a film as having nice visuals, but I also love composing. I work with my hard-partying partner (seriously, I don’t know where he gets so many party invites from, but he is always arriving to work hung-over) and between us we completely manage the sound. We record the foley, sometimes we dub voices (not to brag, but we do some good voice dubbing,) we mix the sound, add all the necessary effects, and we compose and record the music. Well I say we when it comes to composing, I do most of the composing, my partner mostly listens and tells me if it needs more of something, or less of something, if it sounds too bare, or just too busy etc. And it works.  We get some great work done, if I do say so myself.

So with that out of the way, here’s the oddness.

Sometimes bands and small time performers who want to produce some work on the cheap side, but still make it professional, approach the studio. One such band had booked in for a day of recording an EP they wanted to distribute online. I can’t say their music was very good, but I am always happy to help out small time artists. So the band came in, got out their instruments, tuned up, played through a few songs, and we gave them instruction to not knock over or spit on any of the microphones (you’d be surprised.) Next thing I knew, a couple of cameramen came in with their fancy DSLRs, put up a few lights, and got ready to film. I wasn’t happy about this, because the room was going to get very crowded, and busy, and camera people tend to get in the way. But then even stranger, the band then got into costume. Not subtle costumes either, but black and white horror monster masks, and tribal fur and pelts for the rest of them. It was bizarre.

And then they set about playing. My partner and I just sat in the control room, making sure the sound was coming through properly, and trying to ignore the strangeness of the next room. They recorded about three songs, got filmed in various ways, and then packed up, thanked us and left.

That’s my odd story for the week.


Andrew Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment