Sunday 27 October 2013

54 - AL 16 - The End To A Thought

So the first workplace incident I’ve even been involved went down recently

The girl who helped me extract the glass from my finger, for a reason I just don’t get, passed by my boss and briefly mentioned it as a workplace incident. It was not, as it happened because I dropped by phone one day, and got the sharp of glass when I was at home in my bed, but still, that happened.

The thing about my workplace is that they are kind of paranoid about safety and keeping people and equipment from harm. Both of which can result in a lot of money being lost, and a lot of people being unhappy, and who wants either of those? So I was at work, the glass in my finger about as present in my memory as it was still in my finger, so I had no idea why I was being called into my bosses office one morning.

Maybe I was getting a promotion? A raise? An added benefits package? A complimentary top of the line recording kit for me to take home? Well no, and I didn’t seriously think it was any of those. In fact I was rather confused, I never missed deadlines, I have always worked overtime, I’ve never stolen or broken anything.

But I was called into the office, and the conversation began with “How are you feeling?”
My boss isn’t an unfriendly person, but he’s also not exactly a touchy-feely type. He treats us a bit like Malcolm Tucker would treat his closest and most dear family, with less swearing.
“I’m fine, I was addicted to ‘Teen Titans’ recently, but I’m all better now.”
“That’s great. So I recently got a report that you had a glass splinter in you?”
“What?” I had totally forgotten about it.

What followed was a long conversation about the procedure for broken equipment or safety hazards in the workplace, and how I always have to report it to him as soon as possible so it can be taken care of. Now, I normally interrupt people all the time, to the extent that friends of mine have punched me out of frustration, but I never interrupt my boss. So when he finally stopped talking, it was just silence for a while.

He expected me to report what was broken, and what I should have done to report it. But the thing is, that isn’t what happened. I dropped my phone outside of work, got the glass in my finger out of work, didn’t break anything in work, in fact the only thing at work that did happen was the glass got removed, which, when you think about it, is a good thing.

So the silence dragged on for a while. Probably for about 40 seconds which, for silence, is a really bloody long time. Finally I said
“I actually got the glass in my finger at home, there’s nothing broken here, I’m pretty sure…”

Then even more silence occurred. My boss had filled out workplace incident paperwork, gotten out the numbers of glass repairmen and equipment suppliers to replace whatever was broken, and probably been quite stressed that more people would get injured and start making a fuss about it. But all of that stress and frantic writing came to naught.

He wasn’t happy, in fact he was quite frustrated, mostly at himself, but also at me for not explaining myself properly, and also at the girl for not explaining it properly. He didn’t shout or anything, but I could tell that the anger ran deep. So once again, without saying anything, I got up and left the office. It was like the most awkward scene our of a movie, except it didn’t cut away, or resolve itself with some kind of punch line.

So nothing especially bad happened, but that was my first workplace incident. Perhaps the lesson is something like ‘Make sure to explain things properly,’ cause otherwise people won’t quite get you.

Till next week


Andrew Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment