Wednesday 23 October 2013

52 - RA 17 - Outstorying Dan II

I am not great at the whole sleeping thing

It takes me forever to fall asleep, and when I do I’m restless and apparently spasm a lot (sorry in advance to all the girls I sleep with.) That’s kinda the norm, and I didn’t expect that night to be any different.

[Begin epic movie trailer voice (Dan, you can do a pretty good one)]

Previously On R. A.’s Blogs:

As I walked home, getting soaking wet, not getting any cooler, with Cowboy Bebop music stuck in my head, and still feeling inspired, I wondered if I would every get any writing done.

And now, the next chapter unfolds…

[End epic movie trailer voice (Dan, record that and send it to me please)]

I was soaring through the sky. I don’t know what I was soaring on, or if it was just myself, but there I was. The clouds passed by beside me, forming a labyrinth of narrow passageways, but I knew exactly where I was going.

Suddenly it began to grow grey. A second layer of clouds formed a roof above me, rumbling and crashing together. I felt afraid. I didn’t know how I was flying, but I was absolutely sure rain would send me crashing down. I needed to find shelter, but where is there shelter in the clouds. The canopy of darkness above me was enclosing, and I soared onwards.

Even though it is freezing at cloud level, sweat began to pour down my face. I started turning around a cloud. The turn was so sharp, and stretched for so long, I felt like I was going in circles and began to feel dizzy. Then I saw it.

A city, hovering in the sky.

Great towers stretched into the air, with spheres resting on top of them. Square buildings sprawled out below. Everything was grey, all color hammered away by the cold and wind and rain, but it was still beautiful. It sat upon a great circular platform, that floated effortlessly, even so many miles above the ground (or sea, I couldn’t actually see.)

Then, as I drew closer, I began to see more clearly. Shapes were flying through the sky around the city. Winged creatures with long tails, gliding gracefully through the air and between the buildings. I then realized that I was riding on one of these creatures. My hands clasped onto a saddle that rested between the wings on the creatures back.

The city was so close, soon I would be safe from the storm.

A thunderous rumble began in the distance behind me, and started catching up me. I was almost there, just another hundred metres and I would be over the city edge. The rumble was now all around me, building to a great crack. Nearly there. My breathing was heavy and staggered, my heels kicked into the sides of the creature to speed it up, but it was already at full speed.

A great crack exploded next to me, and rain began pouring.

And then the flight was over. Suddenly, whatever force held us in the air gave way, and we began falling, far, far down to the world below.


R. A. Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment