Tuesday 13 August 2013

22 - RAL 8 - Speaking Up

It’s funny how even though we’re brothers, and raised in the same place by the same people, we have very different perspectives on the world.

Part of it, of course, comes from our age gaps. Andrew, you’re an elderly 24, Dan you’re a middle aged 22, and I’m 17, but it’s more than that. And this week, that is what our theme, and it is presented like this:

You are being interviewed for your dream job, but you are interviewed by your toughest critic, yourself. What do you do?

I’d probably begin by asking why I want to be a novelist, since that is the default opening question.
“Well, I’m sort of a pathological liar, something I got from my older brother, and I thought I’d try channel that into something construction.”
“Older brothers can be the worst” He might respond.
“Oh yeah, did you know that once I was left perched on our roof while my older bother went and made pizza?”
“How horrible, I hope he was punished for that!”
“Not even a little, in fact he spun it into a hero story about how he saved me from falling off the roof,”
“You must have had terrible parents”
“Now hold on, it wasn’t my parents fault. They just made an assumption off the information given to them.”
“So you didn’t present your side of the story?”
“Well… I guess I didn’t.”
“Why not, you would have had a solid case. You could have shown the remains of the pizza your brother made.”
“I guess…”
“Well then why didn’t you?”
“I didn’t really have a voice.”
“What do you mean, you can speak. You’re speaking to me right now.”
“I mean I could speak, but… You know how it takes a long time for you to say anything cause you’re thinking of something smart or funny? Well that was the problem. I would stop and think about it for a while before I said anything, it would be smart or funny or whatever, but it wasn’t really me. Cause I didn’t have my own voice.”
“You still could have said something.”
“I know, and I always wish I did.”
“Is that why you want the job?”
“Yeah, so I can use my skill at lying, and really say something. Something from me.”
“Now that, that’s the kind of personality we could use.”
“Thank you.”
“So what kind of deal do you want, 100% profits and unlimited books, or should we really take the boundaries away?”

Ok, so that last part wouldn’t really happen, but that’s my perspective at the moment. Finding my own voice, my own place in the world. It’s not a leap to say that everyone has something unique to say, but not everyone has the ability or motivation to say it. I’m a student, finishing school, an only child at home, kind of a nerd, smart in an intelligent conversation but terrible grades kind of way, and according to multiple different impartial female sources, the good looking one out of the three of us. That’s R. A. Lyons in a nutshell.

Dan, till tomorrow (two films behind!) and Andrew (upload your songs!), till Thursday.


R. A. Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment