Sunday 25 August 2013

27 - AL 8 - Getting Parenthetic

Morning brothers. Today, I’d like to talk about how we have false interpretations of human nature.

Now before you both fall asleep, don’t worry, I’m going to make it interesting.

A couple of days ago, I was sitting with a few co-workers, (cause of course I don’t have any friends) watching one of Adele’s concerts on youtube. Now one of the nicest things, I think, about Adele is that she’s really a very raw, down to earth kind of person, at least in interviews and things. In this particular concert, she walks out on stage, and the first thing she says is ‘Albert (I think) f**king Hall!’ Not only is this hilarious, but quite endearing. She is still just as surprised and amazed by her success as anyone else, and isn’t being Justin Beiber about it.

But here’s where my topic for the day comes in. One of my coworkers, who to be fair I never had a great liking for, says, and this is a verbatim quote from immediately after this line:
“Wow. And here I though she [Adele] was a respectable, intelligent person. Geez. Is there a single famous person whose actually a decent person?”

Now I could list all the surface problems with this statement… So I will.
You can’t judge someone’s whole personality from three words they say while performing a highly public concert at a prolific hall. That’s just stupid.
You also can’t form such a powerful opinion on someone you’ve never met, and likely never will. It takes many meetings to truly know someone.
You also can’t judge people based on a public persona. A public persona is carefully thought out way of presenting yourself to the people. Famous people may be the polar opposite of who they seem to be.

But what I thought most curious about this is the underlying tone that was being put forth here.
This person believed that human beings were simple, that they fell neatly into categories, and he had a preset inclination that he liked this category, and didn’t like this other one. And it seemed that the categories that he had were very limited; respectful, intelligent people, and then the entire rest of the world.
Now I hope that I’m not the one to tell whoever might be reading this as well as you two, Dan and R. A., but human beings are complicated. Really complicated. You just can’t believe how unbelievably, indescribably complicated they are. There are layers upon layers of psychology and backstory behind every action and every decision people make, and there are so many variations thereupon that any attempt to categorise or order people will utterly fail both in the nature of the task, and any system you come up with the achieve it.
I’ve seen the nicest people burst into sweary, gesticulation heavy fits of rage. I’ve seen the angriest, grumpiest people never swear or even raise their voices above a good level of projection. There are people who go from angelic to demonic in a heartbeat over any sort of trigger. Cynical pessimists might become heartfelt do gooders at the sight of puppies (remember Jake, anyone… anyone? Just me then.) So when my colleague give this shallow, generalised, categorical statement about Adele, it is important to understand exactly why it is incorrect. There is niceness and anger in everyone, five syllable vocabularies, and some old fashioned emotive swearing. And denying or refusing this in any way is to be completely ignorant of the truth of human nature.

That’s my blog for this week. I’ll post up my review of our chosen soundtrack tomorrow.

(Parenthetically speaking: Suck it Dan.)

Brothers, I’ll read from you then.


Andrew Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment