Sunday 21 July 2013

10 - RAL 4 - Self-Manipulation

Good one-day-late Dan. Sorry about this but I’ve been both sick and extremely busy, and I’m sure you know that the two don’t compliment each other nearly as much as they make each other unbearable.

Anyway, you’re problem doesn’t fall on deaf ears, in fact everyone has the same problem. That’s why strategies like Dee-Sisp are, while kinda stupid, effective. I think people get their best work done during in-between times, when we are on our way from one thing to another. The train is the perfect time for this, cause it’s an in-between time that we have the lap space and free arms to get some work done. I think the problem is that you’ve made a conscious effort to spend more time on the train, so it’s not as much of an in-between time anymore. That’s my theory anyway. Who knows, your strategy could easily qualify as the far more sensible one when it’s measured against my sleep deprivation one.

I guess to get my writing done, it kinda involves tricking myself. I come up with my best ideas when I can’t actually write, like when I’m showering, or in school, or driving. So I have to do diversion tactics to make myself think I can’t do any writing, and then when an idea comes I can quickly break out and write it down. Dee-Sisp is a strategy, though it leaves you a wreck the next day, and often you only write your good ideas down in about half detail, so you’re left not sure if it was actually a good idea or not. More rationally though is that I’ll start reading books, or watching good stories, or listening to great music, and my mind thinks I’m going to continue doing this, so sometimes good ideas will emerge. I don’t always get the great ideas doing this, cause sometimes I’ll just get wrapped in the story I’m reading, or watching, and often the ideas that come out are just shadows of elements from the story.

I think, ultimately, there is no great strategy. Objectively, writing is one of the hardest mental taxes. There are no rules or guidelines, cheat sheets or hidden page of answers. You’re creating a whole world yourself, both in book and film, and this requires a lot of work. And not only do you not always get good ideas, but you get burn out, run into dead ends, get great ideas that don’t fit into the story, and thousands of problems that occur.

So that’s a little bit about my creative writing process. Sorry I’m late with my blog, I owe you another chapter out line or something, which I will post back up once we have a way to put up PDFs. Perhaps contact google about it? I’m sure they can by the rights to PDFs easily enough, or whatever they’d need to do.

Speaking of needing things to do, Dan, you are one short film behind. Two if you count the fact the I haven’t read your Harry Potter fans on the Train one. You’re in charge of this blog, so get onto that. And Andrew, here’s a challenge for you, learn something difficult on the piano. Or at lest something that sounds difficult. Dan, there’s something else for you to, figure out how to play music files on this blog. Clearly google blogger can’t actually contain our combined amounts of talent.


Dan, I’ll hear from you tomorrow.

R. A. Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment