Tuesday 23 July 2013

13 - RAL 5 - Monstrous Things

Good slightly-more-on-time Dan, and hello to you Andrew.

I unfortunately haven’t seen the original ‘King Kong’ from 80 years ago, but I have seen the remake from 8. Years ago that is. I did some reading though, and it seems the original King Kong is basically the forefather of modern visual effects driven films, and that the director Merian C. Cooper and the filmmaking team basically rewrote the FX handbook in order to make the film they wanted. And this was in 1933, years before Orson Welles did ‘Citizen Kane,’ a film I have seen which has some amazing visual moments in it.

So, ‘King Kong’ a la 2005. It’s pretty good, great in fact. I really liked it. It was about 30 minutes too long, but it was so amazingly well made in every possible way that I didn’t even notice till after the film was over. There’s not a frame that isn’t visually impeccable, and I was never once bored in the entire film, in fact I was frequently on the edge of my seat. But what I think worked incredibly well, was that it was a monster movie with no villain. Or at least, no actual villain, because you could say that human nature was the villain here. Carl Denham’s ambition ruining himself, getting people around him killed, and getting Kong captured and displayed, but also Kong’s love for Anne Darrow which drives him to his ultimate battle on the empire state building. For not having a villain, it was an incredibly driving monster film. I also really liked the music, and I propose an addition to the blog below that relates to this. All in all, I can’t really compare it to the original for lack of having seen it, but this remake was pretty fantastic.

I have a topic about future careers. In school for the last couple of weeks, the career guidance counsellors have been sending those of us in our second last year of school all sorts of messages about our future. I don’t know what I want to be when I grow up, an architect, a lawyer, a real boy etc. And I especially don’t know when I’m put on the spot and asked full frontally. But I do have an ambition which you two, Dan and Andrew, already know, which is to be a writer. I have a number of books I’d like to write, which fall into either series which are always fantasy books, or stand alone titles which are frequently little stories about a small group of people in unusual circumstances. But as well as writing novels, which if I could make a living off would be about seven kinds of amazing, I want to write other things to. I’d like to be a new kind of critic that doesn’t just criticize end results of a film, but objectively and without bias looks at a film, tries to identify with the filmmakers and the production, and positively comment on the result. Although this positive comment might be that the filmmakers have probably learned exactly how not to make a film... I’d also like to be some kind of social commentator, though I’m not sure how. Maybe write some kind of article giving thoughts not on a particular topic, but instead just on the culture and social systems that we live in, although I guess that does count as a topic. So that's what I'd like to be, novelist, critic and journalist (kinda). What about you two, what do you want to be when you grow up?

Blog Addition:
I propose that we each give a daily favorite piece of music. It’ll be a little blog post that you, Dan, will post up. Each of us gives the piece of music, who composed it and the date etc. And a sentence or two why its our favorite of the day. And then, the other two have to listen to said song. It’s in an attempt to, what I’m calling, learn more about each other as adults.

Anyway, I’m still really sick, and my bed is becoming less comfortable by the day so here’s hoping that I am able to leave it soon.

Dan, I’ll read from you tomorrow. Andrew, on Thursday.


R. A. Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment