Thursday 25 July 2013

15 - AL 4 - Segues

Hello from the sound booth brothers.

Now I know what you’re thinking:
  •         What kind of consummate professional is writing a blog while he’s meant to be recording?
  •         How bad are this guy’s priorities if he’s writing a blog when he’s meant to be working?
  •         He’s in a recording booth?

The answer to all of these questions follow the same theme, I am a very hardworking lazy person whose priorities are entirely contextual.

As it happens though, I’m sitting and waiting for the musicians to come back from lunch, which is entirely doughy and sugary food, and therefore likely to make the music sound worse and the musicians will get tired and sleepy. All-in-all, I’m both glad that I ate salad today, and that I’m sitting in this murky, musty, blazing hot room, and not out in the bright, cool, spacious recording room.

But the reason I talk about this now is because both King Kong from 2005, and the score that I composed that is now being recorded play nicely together. For the score, I was requested that it be based around a soft French horn, with strings and piano backing. Relatively easy orchestration, and I think it goes well with the actual film. But one of the composers they mentioned for it to sound like is Howard Shore, or James Newton Howard. As it happens, Howard Shore was going to compose the score to King Kong, and apparently had already recorded a bunch of it, but ended up being replaced about ten minutes before the film came out. His replacement: James Newton Howard.

And now the easy segue into my thoughts on King Kong. R. A., like you I haven’t seen the original King Kong, but I’ve heard pretty similar things about it, clearly we’ve read the same Wikipedia page on the subject. It looks kinda old and dated, though I’m pretty sure I’d appreciate it more if I saw it. But as for the new one, I have actually seen it pretty recently. It’s very good. I am not quite as up on my film terminology and practices as you Dan, so I don’t think I can get into quite so much detail, but it was really, really good. I’d even call it one of my favorite monster movies of all time, though I guess I haven’t seen all that many. It feels a bit like Lord Of The Rings in how it looks and sounds, and the overall atmosphere of the movie, though unfortunately it’s not quite as good. I agree with you Dan that it has a couple moments of… questionable filmmaking, but on the whole it’s a really fantastic movie.

Also, thanks Dan for listening and responding to the song. I initially wasn’t actually going to do it, but when it was late on Wednesday, the tune just sort of came up, and within an hour I had the lyrics written and was recording it. I know I’m not that great a singer (I’ve been described as being painfully out of tune) so I pretty much had to rely on it being funny and catchy. But I now think I can definitely get more songs done, partly because it was actually quite fun. I’m open to song suggestions though, because they can be pretty hard to come up with.

Also, like you said a few weeks ago R. A., the first blog took me hours to write and the second one even longer, but since then it’s become much quicker. It’s almost like through regular practice the commitment to something, you can get better at it. And on that note, I am starting to teach myself the piano. Now I can hear the sounds of musicians returning which means I should probably get back to work.

R. A. , I’ll read from you on Tuesday, Dan, till Wednesday.


Andrew Lyons.

No comments:

Post a Comment